Prepare for Success
Whether you are a freshman or an upperclassman, Buffalo State is dedicated to your success. These checklists include suggestions and resources to assist you on your journey to graduation. Check them out!
Good students follow a set schedule, are organized and have excellent time management skills. The Student Success Office is here to help you develop the strategies to help you become a successful student.
Start Strong and Stay on Track
- Know your financial status for each semester. Make sure your bill is paid and your financial aid package is ready.
- Make sure you know your schedule. Check Banner to be sure that you are registered for the right classes.
- Make a to-do list and utilize a planner for the semester. Document the due dates for assignments and important dates in each of your classes.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help! Build a support system to help you on your way to success.
Best Practices for Student Success in the Classroom
- Attend class and pay attention. Don’t ask a professor to go over material you missed by skipping a class or not concentrating.
- Come to class on time and do not leave early. If you have to enter a class late, do so quietly and don’t disrupt the class by walking between the class and the professor. You should not leave the class unless it is an absolute necessity.
- Don’t talk with other classmates while the professor or another student is speaking. If you have a question or comment, you should raise your hand rather than start a conversation about it with a neighbor.
- Show respect and concern for others by not monopolizing class discussion. Allow others time to give their input and ask questions. You should not stray from the topic of class discussion.
- Turn off electronic devices like cell phones.
- Avoid audible and visible signs of restlessness. These are both rude and disruptive to the professor and the rest of the class.
- Focus on class material during class time. Sleeping, talking to others, doing work for another class, reading the newspaper, checking email or Facebook, or exploring the Internet are unacceptable and can be disruptive.
- Don’t pack your book bag or backpacks to leave until the professor has dismissed class.